Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Jim's Fall Hike - Part 6

Here is the journal of Jim's next two days:

Tues., Oct., 3This was the coldest morning yet, with the temperature just 28 degrees at 7:00 a.m. A solid layer of frost coated the car windshield. Our hosts at the B&B prepared a scrumptious breakfast of fresh fruit and crepes and we obliged by eating as much as we could. By 8:45 I was walking down the main street of Cherryfield, wearing long pants and a fleece jacket for warmth. Although a tad chilly, it was really a delightful morning, with the sun shining brightly. Soon the temperature had risen enough that I could remove the jacket and tie it around my waist.
The cold nights and mornings are hastening the changing of leaf color. It seems the maples are becoming more red every day, and more of them are falling to the ground as I pass by them. For the first several hours, the DST ran parallel to U.S. Route 1 and just about 50-100 feet away, so vehicular noise was my companion this morning. But not ATVs, as just one went past.
Yesterday and today I saw several remnants of a by-gone era: very old telegraph posts, some with wires still attached, apparently left over from when the telegraph was a vital communications link for the railroads. Most of the posts are long gone, perhaps rotted away and blown over into the underbrush, or no longer visible because the forest has grown around them. So just a few are left to be seen by those of us traveling on this old rail bed.
Today’s hike is a relatively short one, just 12.5 miles that will take me four hours to travel. Jane met me two hours after I had started so we could drive to the nearby Subway for a lunch sandwich. Our meeting spot was a cemetery located adjacent to the trail. After buying lunch and returning to the cemetery, I swapped my hiking pants for shorts and my nearly worn out sandals for new ones. Less than two hours later she met me again at another road-trail intersection. I had just finished my sandwich at a picnic table conveniently located along the trail.
Two weeks ago I commented in this journal about the profusion of wildflowers along the roads I walked that week. What a difference from this week, when nearly all the flowers are gone. Only the last few goldenrods and some blue asters remain. Like the maple leaves, the flowers are saying that the season is fast changing.
With today’s mileage, I am now over halfway through this hike’s final week. Now just three more days of walking remain, until we get to the border town of Lubec and the bridge from there to Campobello Island and Canada.
 
Miles Today - 12.5     Total Cumulative Miles - 206

Wed., Oct. 4How blessed I am this week – it’s another super day for hiking the trail and enjoying all the beauty nature has to offer. Breakfast at the local restaurant was the bargain meal of this entire trip: we each ordered a fried egg, bacon or sausage, and toast, all for less than $7 for the two of us!
By 9:00 a.m. we were back at the trail, and today Jane decided to walk with me for a bit. She snapped a picture of a telegraph pole that I had described yesterday. I would see many more on my hike today, most in a pretty dilapidated state. The footing on this short stretch of the trail was pretty decent, so she had no trouble with it. After 15 minutes she said “go with God” and was walking back to the car. I could now accelerate to my usual pace, but glad to have shared the DST with her for a while.
Today’s hike was filled with streams and wetlands, great for wildlife and super for viewing wildlife. As I approached a bridge over a good sized flowing stream, I heard some splashing activity in the water. Coming closer I saw two otters frolicking in the water, taking turns diving underwater and then emerging (this is why Jim needs to have a smart phone with him - this picture would have been fabulous). They were only about 25 feet away, so I got a good view of these great swimmers. Whatever they were doing (hunting for breakfast?) they seemed to be enjoying themselves and not at all concerned that they had a spectator nearby.
I assume all this water and swampy land is prime moose territory, so I kept looking for one of those  large creatures. I did see, for the first time on this trip, plenty of moose prints in the loose gravel – apparently they like to hike the trail too!  Moose prints are quite distinctive, nothing else is similar. But alas, no moose sightings were on my agenda today.
When we parted this morning, I told Jane to look for me in the small town of Whitneyville around 12:40, giving me 3:40 to hike 12 miles.  She was planning to spend some time at the Porter Memorial Library in Machias.  And right at that time, I arrived to see her in the trailside parking lot. Just moments earlier I had seen a large snake in the middle of the trail, so we backtracked to take its picture, but it was gone. A four-mile drive got us to a highly rated restaurant in downtown Machias, where we enjoyed a fine lunch of lobster and fried clam rolls. I really needed the mid-day break today as my left foot has become quite painful, and even two ibuprofen pills mid-morning didn’t seem to take care of it. But lunch and a one-hour rest did the trick and I was pain-free this afternoon. Four more miles of trail hiking and I was done for the day by 3:00 pm. Coincidentally, the finish spot was at an old train station right across the street from where we had eaten lunch two hours earlier.
For the next two days, the remainder of this hike, I will be walking the roads. I have enjoyed hiking over 50 miles on the Down East Sunrise Trail, but beyond Machias it is not a practical route to get to Lubec. As mentioned earlier this is a popular off-road route for ATVs, but surprisingly not for cyclists. This, despite the fact that it is the longest continuous off-road piece of the East Coast Greenway, the 3000 mile bike trail from Florida  to Maine. But the surface of the DST is too rutted and stony and too sandy in places to be a great route for bicycles. So ATVs and snowmobiles in the winter are the main users of the trail.
Tonight we are staying in another B&B. This one is called the Riverside Inn and naturally it is on the banks of a tidal river. As I write this, the tide is coming in and it looks like the water is flowing upstream.
 
Miles Today - 15.5     Total Cumulative Miles - 221.5

Pictures:
Day 14 - Tuesday Morning Leaving our Great B&B
Day 15 - Old Telegraph Pole Along Downeast Sunrise Trail
Day 15 - Off Jim Goes After Jane Turned Around
Day 15 - Beautiful Bookcase at Machias Library




No comments:

Post a Comment

Jim's Fall Hike - Epilogue

Once again, here is my favorite of all of the hike journals - Jim's epilogue.  This time I really believe that this epilogue is ...